Monday, August 5, 2013

Be Still and Love

Love languages. You’ve probably heard of them. According to a book that I have never read (let’s be honest, I googled this out of sheer curiosity), there are five. They are words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. Though our thoughts often immediately jump to these languages being applied in the context of romantic relationships, they are not limited to this category. We see these in the way our love is expressed in our relationships with parents, siblings, friends, etc.

After taking the online assessment, I discovered that my personal love language is quality time. This makes perfect sense to me as I am definitely aware that I thrive on spending time in deep conversation with, doing something meaningful with, or simply being in the company of those I love. Once I started touring with Silver Ring Thing, I took my love of quality time to the next level, trying to spend as much time as possible with my family and friends before I left in the beginning and when I had breaks from the road. Every time the opportunity arose, I packed my schedule as tightly as possible to make sure I spent time with everyone on the rare occasion that I was home.

That had all been wonderfully satisfying…until I eventually hit a wall of conviction. Isn’t it equally as important that I spend quality time with God as well? Ouch. How much had I really been doing that? I mean, I kept up with a daily devo, but reading a few verses a day is hardly quality time, especially compared to the attention I had been giving everyone else important to me.

After tour ended and I came back home for the summer, I found myself in a rut. I spent nearly every day in a quiet house, alone for most of the day, and never once used that time to pick up my Bible or take a few minutes to talk about life with the big man upstairs. Though my social life has taken a breather for the past few months, I have found plenty of ways to occupy myself while pretty much doing nothing. I have watched movies and way too much tv. I have read several books and visited the social media realm more times than I can count. I have attempted to busy myself with house-cleaning, laundry and dishes. And I have spent hours of my life engrossed in solitaire and Sudoku on my phone.

Though I have had plenty of time on my hands this summer, I have not use it wisely, which has left me with an uncomfortable distance between me and my Heavenly Father. Cue once more that painfully familiar conviction. Sure, I have stepped out of the chaos and kept my calendar pretty empty. I have created a lot more time and space for the most important relationship in my life. I have continued to follow along with each day of my Jesus Calling devotional. Then why have I felt strangely hollow? Where is that fulfillment I so desired back when this conviction hit the first time? It’s not here. Because when I thought I had removed myself from the noise of life, I had really only turned down the volume.

It is in times like these, when my spiritual light bulb starts to flicker, that God really breaks through, speaking to me in a love language not listed in a book. I am forever finding conviction, calling, encouragement, and comfort in music. So of course, as soon as I began to realize how keeping myself wrapped up in a busy social life was causing me to neglect the Lord, and how taking “me” time was distracting me from much needed “we” time, lyrics to a beautiful song reminded me what I need to do.


Young Oceans "I Will Be Still"

I will be still
I will be still
And know
And know
And know You

Though the earth give way
Though the mountains fall to the sea
Though its waters roar
I will cling to Thee

Though the nations rage
And creation yearns for the Lord
Though the earth may melt
I'm forever Yours

There is no fear
As I look upon You

I will be still
I will be still
And know
And know
And know You are God

Forever my Refuge
Forever my Strength
Forever my Helper
Forever my Friend

I will be still
I will be still
And know
And know
And know You are God


Being still is not something I am used to. It’s kind of out of my comfort zone, really. I’m most comfortable being constantly on the move, especially after living the majority of the past year of my life on the road. Even when I think I am taking a break from the continuous motion, my mind is always racing. But that doesn’t allow me to just stop. Listen. Clear my head. Seek the Lord. Watch Him move. Be reminded of His will. Dwell in His Word. How much of a difference can that make in my daily life if I just take 10…20…30 minutes a day and invite Him into the silence…and stillness? I don’t know, and that is why I have recently challenged myself to start being still with God every day. Whether that means reading my Bible, praying, journaling, worshipping, or just resting and listening, I am going to focus on a new love language – being still – and I invite you to join me. Give Him your undivided attention. You never know what God will use that quality time for.

No comments:

Post a Comment